This recipe was our competition winner of the modern category of the Amateur Pudding Chef of the Year 2007. Thanks to Maureen Byrd for this delicious dessert ...
- 2 large ruby grapefruit
- 2tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2tbsp water
- 150ml carton double cream
- 170g tube Carnation Condensed Milk
- You will also need a baking sheet lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, 300°F, Gas Mark 2.
- Pare the zest finely from both grapefruit. Put the sugar and water into a small saucepan and heat gently until just dissolved.
- Add the zest and simmer very gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove the zest from the syrup with a fork. Spread the zest out over the lined baking sheet, using two forks to separate the strands. Place in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes until crisp and dry. Leave to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, very carefully remove the pith from one of the grapefruit and cut out the segments. Cut the segments in half. Squeeze the juice from the remaining grapefruit.
- Whip the cream, condensed milk and grapefruit juice until thick and creamy.
- Gently fold in the grapefruit segments and spoon into four serving glasses.
- Top with the crystallised zest and chill for 1 hour before serving.