A sweet, surprising, succulent dessert. There is always time for Poached Chilli Pineapple, but it does work particularly well in complementing any Eastern-style main course.
- 1 medium fresh pineapple,skinned and sliced in 1cm slices
- 200ml cold water
- 250g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp finely chopped chilli
- 2 tsp salted butter
- A pinch of coarse ground black pepper
- Vanilla Fromage Frais
- Place the slices of pineapple onto a chopping board. Then, using a small pastry cutter or knife, remove the tough centre core of the slice.
- Place the water, chilli and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the stove and leave to infuse and cool.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on the stove and melt the butter to the point where it starts foaming and is about to turn light brown.
- Dust the pineapple with a little black pepper.
- Pop the seasoned pineapple slices into the pan and brown them on both sides, this should only take a few minutes.
- Once the pineapples are slightly brown add the chilli syrup and bring to the boil. The butter will slightly thicken the syrup.
- Cook for 1 minute to warm through.
- Then carefully spoon onto warm plates or bowls.
- Add a little syrup and top with a large spoon of Vanilla Fromage Frais.