- For the Sponge:
- 3 medium eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 90g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- For the chocolate ganache:
- 500g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 500mls whipping cream
- 6 heaped tablespoons glucose syrup
- 200ml double cream
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Sprigs of holly to serve
- For the bark (optional extra):
- 100ml dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6
- Grease and line a 22 x 32cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs and caster sugar together with an electric whisk for about 8 mins until thick and creamy.
- In a separate bowl mix the self raising flour and 2 tbsp cocoa powder then sift onto the egg mixture. Fold in very carefully, then pour into the prepared tin.
- Using a palette knife spread the mixture to the edge of the tin and bake for 8-10 mins
- Place a sheet of baking parchment on the work surface, dust with caster sugar. When the cake is ready, tip it onto the baking paper, peel off the lining paper, then roll the cake up from its longest edge with the paper inside. Leave to cool.
- While the sponge is cooling make the chocolate ganache
- Chop the chocolate and place into a clean dry bowl. Bring the cream and the glucose together to the boil, then leave to cool for 10 minutes. Whisk into the chocolate then leave to cool at room temperature.
- In a separate bowl whip the cream until it reaches soft peaks, do not over whip
- Next, unravel the cake, remove the parchment and spread over the whipped cream, then carefully roll up again into a log shape (not too tight or cream will spill out)
- Cut the log on an angle, (roughly a third of the way down the sponge). Position the largest cut section onto a serving plate and arrange the diagonal cut against the cake to make a branch.
- Using a piping bag or pallette knife spread the ganache over the log and branch (don’t cover the ends), then use a fork to mark the ganache to give the effect of tree bark. Finish with icing sugar to resemble snow, and decorate with holly.
Optional extra: If you want to create the chocolate tree bark. Melt the chocolate and spread out onto a sheet of parchment on a baking tray, roll up and place into freezer for 20 minutes (or until set). Unroll and break into bark like pieces to decorate your log.