Warm your winter cockles with this classic dish.
- 8 clementines, peeled, left whole
- 50g castor sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g castor sugar
- 125g self raising flour
- 125g melted unsalted butter
- 150g finely chopped soft gingerbread
- 50mls milk
- finely grated zest 1 large lemon
- 2 pinches salt
- Juice of 3 large lemons
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- Cut the clementine’s into half, and place uncut side down into the hot caramel.
- Place the eggs and sugar together and whisk until light ribbon stage.
- Add the flour and then the melted butter and mix gently.
- Then carefully fold in the gingerbread, milk, lemon zest and salt
- Pour the batter over the bubbling caramel and clementine’s.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes of until light golden brown and well risen.
- Turn out immediately.
- To make the syrup, boil the lemon juice and water together for 1 minute.
- Pour over the cake when still warm.
- Eat warm with ice cream or crème fraîche