This is probably my favourite potato dish, apart from a steaming bowl of freshly dug, boiled new potatoes smothered in fresh mint butter.
- 4 large jacket potatoes, warm, cut in half and scored
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Topping
- 220g gorgonzola
- 150g walnuts, chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 small red onions finely chopped and cooked for 10 minutes to soften
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat the grill to high heat.
- Season the halved potatoes really well.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a little olive oil, add the potatoes cut side down and cook for 10 minutes to take a really nice colour.
- Meanwhile mix the cheese, nuts, basil, egg yolks, breadcrumbs and cooked onion together.
- Once the spuds are cooked, turn over spoon on the cheese mix evenly over the 8 halves.
- Pop under the grill for 2-3 minutes to just half melt the cheese.