Prep Time: 15 mins
Ready in: 20 mins
Difficulty: Very Easy
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 6 rashers smoked back bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds
- 1 small red cabbage
- 1 large glass tangerine or Satsuma juice
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a large pan until it starts to bubble (but do not brown), then add the onion, bacon and seeds and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- While the onions and bacon are cooking, remove all the outside leaves from the cabbage and discard.
- Cut the remaining cabbage into quarters and shred very thinly, wash well and drain thoroughly.
- Add the cabbage to the bacon and onions and stir, add the juice and paprika then cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- The cabbage will then stew in the butter and retained moisture.
- At the end of cooking, season, then tip into a large bowl and tuck in - the buttery juices are delicious I promise you, and all you need with it is crusty bread and a chunk of cheese.