I love this salad, crisp tasty and really filling, the powerful flavour of the dressing is really fabulous, great starter on its own or main course with a roasted corn fed chicken breast.
- 8 paper thin slices of lemon, cut into quarters
- 2 medium organic carrots, peeled
- 200g (quarter roughly) white cabbage
- 100g Kenya beans, cut into 2cm pieces
- 10 cherry plum tomatoes, halved
- For the dressing
- Juice of 3 large limes
- 3 tbsp tamarind paste (Barts)
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp heaped finely chopped red chilli
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp heaped castor sugar
- 50mls vegetable oil
- salt, optional
- Place the lemon, beans and tomatoes into a large bowl.
- Place the cabbage into the food processor attachment on the food processor and fit with the medium slicer blade.
- Process the carrots and then the cabbage so they are finely sliced. Add to the bowl and mix well.
- Place all of the ingredients, apart from the oil, for the dressing into a separate bowl and mix well, finally add the oil in a thin stream and mix well.
- Pour over the salad and mix well, taste and re season if needed, I generally find that there is enough seasoning with the soy sauce and chilli pepper.
- Leave for 20 minutes at room temperature then re mix and serve.