- 500g beef mince, best with a 20% fat content
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp paprika, optional
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in sauce
- 2 glasses of water, say 300mls roughly
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 x 400g can black eyed peas, drained
Heat the oil and add the onions and garlic and soften.
Add the mince and break up well with a wooden spoon.
Then cook until all the moisture has evaporated and the meat is starting to brown nicely.
Next add the spices, herbs, tomatoes, water, puree and sugar.
Mix well and taste adjust the seasoning if needed.
Finally add the drained beans and cook for 30-40 minutes, gently.
Serve with steamed rice, soft tortillas or cornbread and tuck in.