This is a different way of serving fool. I rather like the way of serving fools this way; also you are adding a little texture by using Savoy fingers.
- 600g main crop rhubarb, washed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 85g light soft brown sugar
- juice 2 large lemons
- 1 vanilla pod split
- 2 packets Savoy fingers
- 575mls lightly whipped double cream
- 600mls thick custard (made from custard powder, and chilled well
- Cook the rhubarb in a stainless steel saucepan with the lemon juice.
- Cook until the rhubarb is softened and thick and pulpy. Cool completely remove the vanilla pod, squeeze out the vanilla seeds.
- The rest is relatively easy, line the large tea mugs, trifle bowls or tumblers with cling film, wet the inside of the mugs first it's a lot easier.
- Then line with sponge fingers.
- Mix equal quantities of cream, custard and rhubarb together carefully then fill up the 6-8 mugs, tap down, cover and chill well. Best overnight.
- Turn out by gently pulling the cling film and the fools will slide out. Serve with a little rhubarb sauce.