- 3 large red onions, peeled
- 150mls extra virgin olive oil, good quality
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 200mls fresh apple juice
- 50mls cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C gas 6.
- Slice the onions carefully into ½ cm slices across the onion, so you end up with all the rings intact in a slice.
- Lay them on a baking sheet. You can stack the slices 2 or 3 high if you need to.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and a good seasoning of salt and pepper, add the herbs.
- Pour over the apple juice and vinegar.
- Cover with foil tightly, then place on the top of the stove to heat through, then pop in the oven.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until soft and sweet. This is very important; the softer, the better.
- You are basically steaming them in olive oil, apple juice and vinegar.