This dessert turns a few strawberries, jam and cream into something that looks as if it came straight out of a patisserie.
- 500g all butter puff pastry
- 300gm ripe, fresh English strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 560mls double cream, very lightly whipped
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 tbsp good quality strawberry jam (Tiptree Little Scarlet)
- Strawberries, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas 5. Roll out the puff pastry to roughly 40cm x 30cm, you want it nice and thin. Place on a baking sheet and dock really well with a fork.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until nicely risen and golden brown – it’s very important that it is cooked right through, but take care with puff pastry as it tends to burn very quickly once you take your eye off it
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool
- Whip together the vanilla and cream and keep as cold as possible
- Once the pastry has cooled, cut it lengthways into three equal pieces, trimming to make perfect
- Spread two of the pastry pieces with jam, this is a novel idea to not only sweeten the dessert, but also bring out the flavour of the strawberries. Place the strawberries on top of the jam.
- Using a palette knife, spread a thick layer of whipped double cream on top of the strawberries and jam. Then carefully use the palette knife to lift one of the strips of pastry on to the top of the other and nestle down nicely.
- Dust the top with icing sugar
- Serve with any left over double cream and strawberries.