I love this salad, crisp tasty and really filling, the powerful flavour of the dressing is really fabulous, great starter on its own or main course such as a roasted corn fed chicken breast or roasted salmon fillet.
- 150g dried shrimp
- juice of 3 large limes
- 200g French beans, cut into long thin slivers
- 200g young runner beans, cut into long thin slivers
- 1 medium Kohl Rabi, peeled then cut into fine matchsticks
- For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp tamarind paste (Bart’s)
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp heaped finely chopped red chilli
- 75mls vegetable oil
- 8 paper thin slices of lemon, cut into quarters
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped Thai basil
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10-15 cherry plum tomatoes, halved
- Using a pestle and mortar, pound the lime juice and shrimps together, until you have a rough paste then reserve.
- Place all the prepared vegetables into a large bowl and mix well.
- Place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a separate bowl and mix well.
- Add the lemon and herbs to the dressing along with the shrimps and lime juice.
- Season well with salt, pepper and sugar and leave for 20 minutes or best longer if you can.
- Just before serving add the tomatoes you mix together well.