Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 15-18 mins
- 400g hake, bone free cut into 2cm strips
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- pinch dried chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 200g roughly, fine ground cornmeal or polenta
- 350mls shop bought mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh chilli roughly chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large spring onions roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp any fresh green herb such as basil, coriander, parsley
- mall handful fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- black pepper
- Fill a medium frying pan with 2cm of oil, then heat to roughly 175°C.
- Next mix the beaten eggs with the cumin and chilli.
- Dust the hake in the cornflour, then place into the egg mixture, coat well.
- Coat with fine polenta and repeat with the rest of the fish.
- Meanwhile place the mayo, chilli, mustard, onions, herbs and spinach into a liquidiser.
- Blitz with the vinegar and a little water until you have a thick, lovely green sauce.
- Spoon into a bowl and season with black pepper.
- Cook the hake in small batches until crisp, probably 3-4 minutes turning occasionally.
- Drain well and serve with the spicy herb dip.