Prep Time: 15 mins
Ready in: 30 mins
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes in juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 4 cloves smoked garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 organic vegetable stock cube (Kallo)
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the oil add the onions, garlic and herbs.
- Cook for 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the wine and tomato puree and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Finally add the tomatoes and juice, vinegar, stock cube, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Cook down slowly for 10 minutes until thick and pulpy.
- Serve hot over pasta, with grilled meats or fish, or cold as a bread topping with a few black olive sliced through.
- Also a little Parmesan cheese stirred through makes a nice change.