You can’t beat a good sausage roll, flaky pastry and succulent sausage, what a combination. But many of the shop bought ones are full of things you don’t want to eat so the simple answer is to make your own.
- 500g good quality sausage meat (20% fat)
- 2 tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground mace
- pinch ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- 500g good quality ready rolled all butter puff pastry
- 1 small egg, beaten
- extra egg for glazing
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C gas 5.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together well.
- Place the sheets of pastry on a board and cut into 6cm wide strips.
- Brush well with the beaten egg.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the sausage meat onto the strips, slightly to one side. Fold over and seal the edge well.
- Brush again with the beaten egg, then chill in the fridge.
- Cut into small rolls and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until browned, crisp and cooked through.