Prep Time: 15 mins
Ready in: 3 to 4 mins
- 14-16 baby squid, cleaned and dried in kitchen towel
- 200g self raising flour
- 300ml (½ pint milk), approx.
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp granulated or castor sugar
- For the dipping sauce
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 large tbsp lemon grass puree
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- Juice 2 large limes
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp finely chopped Thai basil
- Sprinkle over the salt and sugar serve straight away with fresh lime squeezed over.
- Heat a the oil to 190°C, then fry the squid until golden and crisp - it's best to do this in small batches so the oil retains its temperature. Drain squid on kitchen paper.
- Dust with a little salt and pepper mix, a few squid at a time in the flour, dip into the milk then dust again in flour. Re dust if needed.
- Make sure that the baby squid are clean and thoroughly dry - you may need to pat them dry using a piece of kitchen paper. Remove the head and tentacles from the squid.
For the Dippng Sauce
- Mix the shrimp paste, chilli, lemon grass puree, sugar and ginger together well
- The add the lime, soy, fish sauce, mix well
- Finally add the herbs and serve.