- 600g peeled potatoes, Maris Piper, King Edward, Cara
- 175g goose or duck fat or lard
- salt and coarse ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, Gas 6.
- Place the oil into a baking tray and place in the oven to get very hot, 10 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into chunks about the size of a large plum.
- Place in a saucepan with a little salt and bring to the boil, then simmer until the potato starts to soften and crumble at its edges, this is very important, the finished potatoes will be much crispier if they start to fall apart at this stage.
- Strain in a colander and leave to steam for a couple of minutes, shaking occasionally to help the sides fall off.
- Remove the hot tray from the oven carefully and place the potatoes in, season well with salt and pepper,
- Then cook in the hot oven for 30 minutes, turn over and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes so you have a crunchy edges, you may have to leave them slightly longer.
- You only have to turn them once.
- That’s it simple and fail safe, perfect roast tatties.