Prep Time: 10 mins
Ready in: 2 hours
Difficulty: Very Easy
- 1kg (2.2lb) fresh chicken
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C Gas 5.
- Season the cavity with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Now, here’s a good tip for you - pull out a long length of silver foil and scrunch it up into an oblong, about 5cm thick.
- Place the foil in your roasting tin and sit the chicken on top - this stops the chicken from sticking to the bottom of the roasting tin whilst it’s cooking.
- Cook the chicken in the oven for about 1½ hours, or until thoroughly cooked.
- Keep an eye on the chicken and regularly baste it with the juices.
- If the chicken is browning too quickly then turn down the oven slightly, or cover the breast with a piece of foil.
- When the chicken is cooked, just test by inserting a knife into the thigh, the leg will be juicy, and the juices will be clear. If you see a trace of blood, then cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooked carefully remove from the oven and leave to rest covered for 30 minutes, at least. This will really add to the succulence of the meat, trust me.