Roast chicken is always a winner but once you add lemon and mint it takes it to a whole new level, delicious.
- juice 2 lemons
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely pasted
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 x 1kg (2.2lb) chicken, roughly
- For the Glaze
- finely grated zest from the 2 lemons above
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 5 tbsp any vinegar
- For the Sauce
- 6 tbsp thick sheep yogurt
- tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Using a sharp chopping knife cut the backbone out of the chicken, by sliding the knife in the cavity and to one side of the spine. Press down sharply and cut through. Repeat the other side of the spine and remove completely.
- Then open the chicken up and press flat, then place in a baking tray, then mix the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper together well
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken and rub in well.
- Place the chicken onto a baking tray (skin side down and place into the oven for 45 minutes.
- At the 45-minute mark, turn the chicken over paint over the glaze and return to the hot oven and cook for a further 30-40 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Once cooked remove the chicken from the oven, cover with foil and leave for 30 minutes minimum to rest.
- Mix the yogurt with the mint, cumin and paprika and serve with the chicken.