This really is finger licking good!
- 8 large chicken thighs, bone in and skin off
- 220mls buttermilk or yogurt
- 1 level tbsp table salt
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 level tsp cayenne pepper
- 225g plain flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 150ml cold water, approx.
- sunflower or safflower oil, to fry
- Place the chicken legs into a bowl and add the buttermilk or yogourt and salt and mix well, leave 1 hour best overnight if you can.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C gas 6.Place the oregano, thyme, cumin, peppers and flour into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Whisk the eggs together with the water.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the buttermilk and wipe off the excess.
- Place the left over buttermilk into eggs and water and whisk well.
- Dip each thigh into the flour and spice mixture to lightly dust, remove from the flour and place on one side.
- Then dip each piece of floured chicken in the egg mixture, shake off any excess then put back into the flour mixture to coat - it’s best to do this stage one piece at a time, otherwise you’ll get very messy!!
- Heat a pan of vegetable oil about 2-3cm deep to about 175°C, or when a piece of bread browns within 30 seconds when popped in.
- Add 4 chicken thighs and fry for 4-5 minutes then carefully turn over and cook on the other side until golden brown - the oil should only come just halfway up the sides of the chicken
- Place a wire rack onto a baking tray, then place the browned chicken on the wire rack.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- The smell will be really tempting, but try to resist because they’ll burn your mouth if you eat them straight away!