Making mash is simple, or is it? Get it wrong and everyone will ‘chip’ in with their fool proof methods. So, make sure you choose the right potatoes for the job and the rest will be child’s play.
- 750g potatoes, either Marfona, White King Edward or Wilja
- 150mls hot milk, approx.
- 50g butter or olive oil
- table salt
- ground white pepper
- Bring the washed medium chunks of potato to the boil turn down the heat and simmer (not too slowly) until cooked right through, check several with a table knife as the chunks may cook at different times.
- Drain well and leave in their own steam for a couple of minutes, then tip back into the pan.
- Using a potato masher, break up well and thoroughly.
- Then using a whisk add the hot milk, butter or oil into the mashed potatoes and season well with salt and pepper.
- The mash should not be too creamy, but soft.
- Re-season well with salt and pepper if needed.
For different flavourings;
- Add half teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace and beat well.
- Add 1 small onion and 2 cloves garlic crushed and stewed in butter for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped black olives and fresh chopped basil.