This is an absolute classic dish, and well worth going the extra mile for the right cheeses.
- 150g strong Cheddar, very finely grated
- 1 level tsp English mustard powder
- pinch ground black pepper
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 50g finely chopped sun-blush tomatoes
- 2 slices cheapo bread
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Toast the bread on one side only.
- Place the cheeses, mustard powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and egg yolks into a bowl and mix well.
- Pile onto the cheese mix uncooked side of the toast in the centre, and then spread out the mix to the edges, keeping the centre slightly domed.
- Repeat with the second slice, then place both on a baking tray.
- Place the tray on the middle shelf of the grill and start to cook.
- Once the top is starting to lightly brown, slide the tray onto the bottom of the grill and cook until all the cheese is glazed, slightly domed, and smooth.
- Cool for 1 minute so the cheese and egg set slightly, then cut into triangles and serve.