- Serves: 2
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Ready in: 15-20 mins
- Difficulty: Very Easy
- 275ml milk
- 40g butter, softened
- 30g plain flour
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 100g Gruyere cheese
- Warm the milk in a pan and allow to simmer. Mix the flour with the butter to form a paste and whisk into the simmering milk for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Brush the bread with butter on side and grill butter side up until nice and brown. Remove from the grill and spread the other side with mustard, top with ham, Gruyere cheese and place the other piece of bread – toasted side up and press down.
- Place the sandwich in the oven for 6-8 minutes
- Remove from the oven and top with the white sauce a little more cheese and cracked black pepper
- Bake in the oven for a further 10-12 minutes