- 220g soft salted butter room temperature
- 220g caster sugar
- 220g self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 100g ground almonds
- 4 medium eggs, beaten at the same temperature as the butter
- 6-8 ripe plums
- 2-3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 4 plums, stoned and chopped
- 50mls water
- 2-3 tbsp caster sugar
- squeeze of lemon
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp cold water
- clotted cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C gas 4.
Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs slowly so as not to curdle.
Add the flour, baking powder, and almonds mixing well, but do not overmix.
Spoon half the mix into a lined with a loaf liner 2lb loaf tin.
- Chop 3 of the plums and sprinkle over the batter.
- Add the rest of the mix covering the plims well.
- Slice the other plums and lay over the top of the batter, pressing in slightly.
- Sprinkle over the sugar and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the plums, water, and sugar into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the lemon and thicken with the cornflour and water, leave to cool.
- Slice the cake and serve with the stewed plums, clotted cream, and or custard.