- Place a steamer on the stove, and half fill it with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Grease a 9cm deep x 17cm wide Pyrex or heatproof bowl well.
- Place the flour, sugar, suet and sultanas into a bowl and add enough cold water until you have a soft dropping consistency, similar to a sponge mix. Do not overwork, or the finished pudding will be heavy and chewy to eat.
- Spoon into the bowl, then cover well with buttered foil.
- Place in the steamer and steam for 1 hour 30 minutes, may take a little longer, remembering to top the steamer up with boiling water from the kettle periodically.
- When cooked, remove from the steamer and turn out onto a hot plate.
- Cover with hot custard or golden syrup and serve, simple as that, and it's very good!