Homemade fishfingers; packed with juicy fresh fish and a crunchy coating are a far cry from the ready-made versions.
- 400g haddock, Pollock, skinned, boned loin fillet (2 x 100g pieces each)
- 4 tbsp tartar sauce
- ground pepper
- 6 tbsp cornflour
- 4 medium eggs
- 300g Panko breadcrumbs
- 50mls any oil
- To Serve, any or all of these: Wraps, white bread, soft salted butter, thinly sliced tomato, finely shredded Iceberg lettuce, mayonnaise, ketchup, Siracha, tartar sauce
- Spoon a little tartar sauce over each of the pieces of fish, then a little ground pepper.
- Dust each one lightly in cornflour and remove any excess.
- Dip or brush each piece of fish with beaten egg and coat in the breadcrumbs, press won well and chill well.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the fingers gently for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- I don’t add any extra salt, as you have sauces to compensate.
- Prepare your bread or wrap to your specification.
- Add the fingers and eat.