- 250g rindless smoked bacon, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1kg fresh, cleaned, mussels (chuck out any that refuse to close when firmly tapped)
- 350ml lager
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pan, add the cubed bacon and cook for 10 minutes, or until it is slightly browned and the fat is starting to run
- Add the onion and cook for a further 10 minutes, again until it has taken on a nice colour.
- Add the mussels, a little salt and pepper and the beer and bring to a rapid boil. Stir well, cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the mussels are open - throw away any that remain shut.
- Remove the pan for the hob, divide the mussels between four deep bowls and spoon over the lovely smoky beer liquor. I serve this with crusty bread