Macaroni Cheese is great but here are a few variations to make your Mac 'n' Cheese really zing!
- Straight Macaroni Cheese - incredibly unctuous and rich
- Pancetta & Roasted Corn - super scrummy
- Roasted Pepper & Garlic - for that Mediterranean vibe
- Spiced Macaroni - powerful flavours to melt your tastebuds
- 200g dried macaroni
- 1 medium onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g butter, softened
- 30g plain flour
- 275mls milk
- 175g grated Cornish Kern or strong Cheddar
- pinch or two of nutmeg
- 1 level tbsp English mustard
- Half a 10g vegetable stock cube
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and made into crumbs
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling water until just cooked, then drain really well, add a tbsp oil to stop the pasta sticking together.
- Warm the olive oil and add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. (*If making the spiced macaroni add the spices here and cook out with the onions)
- Add the milk, stock cube then bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile mix the butter and flour together, to form a paste.
- Once the milk is boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer, then whisk in the butter and flour mixture, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in 125g of the cheese and the cooked macaroni.
- Add a pinch or two of nutmeg, mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in your chosen additions if using.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the 50g grated Cheddar and the breadcrumbs then brown under a hot grill or in the oven for about 10 minutes.