This super quick curry is perfect if you want something delicious and is faster and healthier than a takeaway.
- 1 medium egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 heaped tbsp any starch, cornflour, arrowroot etc. etc.
- pinch black pepper
- 3 medium chicken breasts, free of skin and cut into 1cm strips (Lean pork, turkey, venison and game such as pheasant also work well with this recipe)
- I large onion, peeled and FINELY chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 heaped tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 heaped tsp chopped red chilli
- 8 ripe (good flavoured) fresh tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 10g chicken stock cube
- juice of ½ lemon
- 20g freshly chopped coriander
- 3 tbsp natural thick yogurt
- Whisk the egg white, starch and black pepper well, and then add the chicken, pork or turkey.
- Mix well and leave whilst you make the curry sauce.
- Place the onion, garlic, cardamom pods, mango chutney, coconut, ginger, chilli, tomatoes, tomato puree, turmeric, cumin and stock cube into a food processor and blitz to a nice paste.
- Bring a shallow pan of salted water to the boil.
- Once boiling drop in the chicken pieces and stir to stop the starch sticking, and then bring back to a simmer.
- Immediately lift out with a slotted spoon and place into a clean saucepan.
- Pour over the curry/sauce and bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 12-14 minutes, the curry may well cook in less time.
- Once cooked, check the seasoning and adjust if needed, stir in the lemon, coriander and yogourt off the heat, serve with rice and raita.