Vegetarians please look away now! It really doesn’t get more festive than making your Christmas ham, all those Christmas aromas, cloves, cinnamon and tangerines and the mouth-watering smell of roast ham.
- For the Glazed Ham
- 4.5kg cooked, smoked ham
- 200g brown sugar
- 200g honey
- 100mls cider or apple vinegar
- the juice from a jar of cherries, reserve the cherries for the compote
- 100ml Kirsch
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tangerine
- For the Christmas Compote
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 75g speck, diced (pancetta or bacon will also work)
- skin of one tangerine, finely diced
- 2 x 140g jars cranberry sauce
- 1 jar cherries (see above)
- 10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- splash of cider or apple vinegar
- 100mls water
- Take a sharp knife and score the rind of the ham all over.
- For the glaze, mix together the brown sugar, honey, cider vinegar, cherry juice, kirsch season with pepper and whisk together to combine.
- Pour over the ham and squeeze over the juice of one tangerines.
- Place in the oven at 180c for an hour and 30 minutes basting the ham every 30 minutes - be very careful while doing this, the sugary glaze will get very hot!
- Sauté the onion with the speck and soften for a couple of minutes. Add the finely chopped tangerine rind to the pan.
- Add the jars of cranberry sauce, cherries, cloves, cinnamon stick, vinegar
- and a little water. Season with salt and pepper and cook over a medium heat for roughly 20 minutes.
- Serve the Kirsch & honey glazed ham with the Christmas compote.