It’s that time of year for Jersey Royal’s, my favourite; this is the prime time to eat them. The season doesn’t last long so get then while you can.
- 250g smoked streaky bacon in 1cm chunks if possible
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 500g Jersey Royals, sliced lengthways, skin on, then cooked
- 4 tbsp Worcester sauce
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 4 poached eggs
- chopped parsley, optional
- Heat a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the bacon and cook for 1 minute until the fat runs.
- Add the onions and cook until well coloured and crispy.
- Add the potatoes and press slightly with a potato masher or fork, but do not break up completely.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes or so, over a high heat, then add the sauce and cook until the sauce is pretty much absorbed.
- Spoon into large bowls and top with a poached or fried egg and little chopped parsley if you want.