Cornbread is a staple in Americas deep south and this is a tribute to that with a spicy twist.
Ho yes, it's also Gluten Free.
- 360g gluten free masa harina or fine cornmeal
- 25g cornflour, arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 3 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 25g chopped fresh chives
- 25g chopped fresh jalapeno chillies
- 340g tin sweetcorn
- 570ml buttermilk
- 2 medium eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180C / fan 160C / gas 4. Lightly grease a 33cm round x 5cm deep non-stick pizza pan or a similar sized tin.
- In a bowl, mix together the masa harina, cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the cheese, chives, chillies and coriander and mix well.
- Blend the sweetcorn with the buttermilk. Add the eggs, but don’t over mix, then add the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-45 minutes. Once well-risen and browned, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.