This is not really a recipe, I wouldn't be so silly to try and chef-up a hot dog!. It's more a discussion of the various types of hot dogs and just a few of the combinations I like.
- Always cook sausages slowly, this ensures you get no splits or explosions.
- I add a little oil also to stop them scorching.
- Do not overcook or the texture will be dry and rough.
- I pan fry mine slowly then finish under a grill or in a moderate oven.
- I often cook mine the day before, cool chill and the re heat when needed.
- Warm the hot dog to the makers instructions, then place into a hot dog roll.
- Top with ketchup, yellow mustard and or pickled jalapenos.
Meguez Hot Dog
- Cook the sausages as per instructions above.
- Make the salad/slaw and the harissa mayo, fill a pitta then add the sausage, and top with the mayo.
British Hot Dog
- Cook the Cumberland ring as per instructions above.
- Cook the onions.
- Add the ring to the bap/barm or huffkin.
- Top with the onions and English mustard.