For the Easy Hot Cross Bun & Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 200C Gas 5.
- Break up the hot cross buns and place into a food processor, blitz until you have a fine crumb.
- Tip into a bowl and stir through the brown sugar really well.
- Spread evenly onto a parchment-lined baking tray and bake in the oven until really crunchy and coloured, do not burn. You may have to stir them occasionally to get an even cook.
- Once cooked remove and cool.
- Place the 300g caster sugar and water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling leave to boil for 5 minutes, bang on, no more no less. I use a small digital timer.
- Place the egg yolks into a mixing bowl, and once the sugar and water have been boiling for 2 minutes, set the machine to medium speed.
- At 5 minutes, take the sugar and water off the stove, turn the machine up to full speed, and pour onto the egg yolks.
- Whisk until thick, foamy and cold.
- Remove the egg yolk mixture from the machine.
- Carefully fold through the lightly whipped cream.
- Then fold in the hot cross bun crumbs, then finally swirl through the raspberry puree so you have a ripple effect, cover and freeze well.
For the Sauce
- Make the sauce by placing the butter, salt, sugar, treacle, spices and cream together into a saucepan and bring to the boil, whisk well until you have a thick sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract and sultanas.
For the Hot Cross Bun Sandwich
- Slice the hot cross buns into 3 thin slices
- Brush with a little melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crisp.
- Sandwich with nice scoops of the ice cream.
- Spoon over a little of the sauce.