- 200 - 250grms Nice, young, English asparagus tips
- Extra virgin olive oil, 2 - 3 tablespoons
- 2 Small shallots peeled and chopped as finely as possible
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt, freshly milled black pepper, castor sugar
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 75grms Fresh, shaved Parmesan
First step is to make the dressing, its best left overnight so the flavours can soften and blend together, to prove what I mean, once you have finished the dressing taste it, and then taste it the next day, the difference is amazing.
Put the mustard, and vinegar together in a bowl and whisk together add a pinch of sugar, salt and a couple twists of the pepper mill then gradually add the olive oil in a steady stream so the whole dressing emulsifies and thickens, finally add the cold water so you should end up with a sauce like consistency, again check the seasoning and adjust if needed, I rather like my dressing to be quite sharp and tangy. Leave to soften.
Next, warm up the griddle pan, but not too hot, brush the asparagus spears with olive oil and place in the pan, season well with salt and pepper and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side turning occasionally, the outside skin will slightly char and blister, when cooked arrange on a large plate and drizzle over the dressing and top with the Parmesan shavings, serve warm with plenty of crusty bread.