Makes: 23cm cake
Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 50 mins
Chilling time: 15-20 mins
- Soft butter for greasing
- 4 heaped tbsp cherry jam
- 600g large cherries, pitted
- For the Sponge
- 220g soft salted butter
- 220g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 120g ground almonds
- 150g self-raising flour
- To Serve
- 300ml lightly whipped double cream
- vanilla extract
- icing sugar to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160C / Gas 3.
- Line a 23cm round springform tin with baking parchment, making sure the parchment comes up the side of the tin by about 3cm (this holds in the juice as the cake cooks) Lightly butter the parchment paper.
- Spoon the jam over the bottom of the tin, then add the cherries in an even layer.
- To make the sponge, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together well for 2-3 minutes, no need to go mad. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Gently mix in the almonds and flour, then spoon the mixture over the cherries and the jam, nice and evenly.
- Place the tin on a baking tray, just in case you get a leak, and bake for 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and leave to set for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the outside ring and invert onto a large plate.
- Serve at room temperature with sweetened vanilla cream