Cooking in the Downton Abbey kitchen was such good fun, it makes you realise how much has changed but good traditional recipes still work fantastically. Today I will be recreating this fantastic recipe from home.
- 150g plain flour
- 100g strong white flour
- 40g salted butter
- 25g baking powder
- 70g castor sugar
- 150mls buttermilk
- egg beaten egg or milk
- Clotted Cream & Jam to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, gas 6.
- Rub the flours, butter and baking powder together until you have fine breadcrumbs, then add the sugar.
- Gradually add the buttermilk, the mixture should be really wet and soft
- Remove from the bowl and bring together.
- Roll out and cut 8 x 7cm x 2cm deep scones.
- Place onto a greased baking tray cover with film lightly and leave for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Remove the film brush with milk or beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until well risen and light brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.