- 500g trimmed sprouts
- Iced water
- 2 tbsp any oil
- 4 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g vac pac chestnuts, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 heaped tbsp redcurrant jelly
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Criss cross the bottom of the trimmed sprouts halfway into the sprout (this ensures the sprouts cook right through)
- Place in iced water and leave overnight in the fridge if you can.
- Next day drain really well the spin in a salad spinner in 2 or 3 batches, you need to get as much water out as possible. Then pat with kitchen towel.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil then add the shallots, garlic and chestnuts and cook over a moderate heat to take some nice colour, then add the vinegar, jelly and salt and pepper and cook until the jelly is melted.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 175C, then carefully fry the sprouts in 4 batches making sure you take care.
- Once nicely browned and cooked through drain well.
- Once all cooked season well with salt and pepper then add then dressing and fold through, serve warm.