Phil takes the challenge and creates some interesting recipes on the spot from ingredients brought in by celebrity guests.
- 1 x 425g can pilchards in brine, strained well
- 55g butter
- 55g flour
- 565mls milk
- 2 small onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices bread
- made into fine breadcrumbs
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- finely grated zest 1 large lemon
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C / gas 6.
- Make the sauce by melting the butter, then adding the flour and mixing well.
- Add the milk, stir well and bring to a gentle boil, season with pepper only.
- Heat the oil, then add the onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the warm white sauce and mix well.
- Cut the pilchards in half, then place into a small ovenproof dish.
- Top with the sauce.
- Fry the breadcrumbs in the oil until golden and crunchy.
- Add a little salt and pepper, then the egg and the lemon zest.
- Pile lightly, onto the sauce and pilchards and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes to warm through.