Chicken and mayo are a classic combination and this curry sauce enhances it even more. If you can find it, smoked chicken is best for this dish although plain cooked chicken would be fine.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 large glass red wine
- 1 large glass water
- 2 tsp mild Balti curry paste
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- 400g jar mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 25g lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 350g cooked or smoked chicken leg is the best, cubed
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the chopped onion and cook gently until softened but do not allow to brown.
- Add the wine, water, curry paste, tomato puree, stock cube and jam and bring to the boil then simmer rapidly until reduced to a thick sauce.
- Place the mayo in a bowl with the chives, parsley and sesame seeds and stir together well. Add the cool red wine mixture and chicken and season well
- To serve, spoon the chicken over the chopped lettuce and toss well to mix.
- Serve with crusty bread and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.