Sounds and bit strange but trust me they are really delicious, healthy and Gluten Free.
- 4 medium eggs at room temperature
- pinch table salt
- pinch ground pepper
- pinch cream of tartar
- Pre-heat the oven to 230C Gas 8.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks, taking care not to break the yolks.
- Place the whites into a mixing bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and half a pinch cream of tartar.
- Whisk over a medium speed until thick, glossy and creamy.
- Spoon 4 mounds of egg white onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Using a small spoon make a small indent in the top of the meringue.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven straight away for 4-5 minutes.
- Once lightly browned and well puffed up remove the tray from the oven and add the egg yolks to the indent.
- Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, just to warm the yolk through.
- Do not overcook or the meringue will collapse and shrivel slightly, giving the whites a chewy texture.
- Serve straight away, you will be surprised how firm the meringue is.