I know it sounds odd but it works. I sometimes use left-over cake; any fruit cake will do. Plus, I always make plenty of stuffing either in or out the bird. Its great in sandwiches with cranberry sauce, bubble and squeak or in a pie or soup so don’t skimp.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 500g good quality sausage meat
- 250g finely chopped chicken livers
- 200g Christmas cake chopped crumbled
- about 8 tbsp natural dried breadcrumbs
- 2 whole medium eggs
- 150g semi dried cranberries
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions, allspice and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the sausage meat and livers and stir well.
- Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
- Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Stir in the whole eggs and cranberries and beat the whole mixture well.
- Finally add the Christmas cake and some salt and pepper.
- Stuff the bird when required or bake separately.