Which get your vote? Steak Ale & Mushroom Pie or Chicken & Leek Pie, it's so hard to choose!
- 400g skinned, boned chicken thighs, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 x 10g chicken stock cubes
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 250g cooked finely chopped leeks (probably 1 large leek)
- 300mls cold water, approx.
- 3 tbsp butter, very soft
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 225g (2 x sheets short pastry)
- beaten egg for the glaze
- Place the thighs, stock cubes, garlic and leeks into a saucepan and just cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and JUST falling apart with a little resistance.
- Once cooked, strain the chicken/leek off and skim off any fat then measure the liquid that’s left you will need a roughly 350mls.
- Mix the soft flour and butter together really well.
- Place the stock back into the pan and bring to the boil, once simmering whisk the flour and butter mixture in and re boil until you have a thick sauce.
- Place chicken/leek back into the thickened sauce, then season well and chill (If you can chill at this point all the better, best overnight to tighten up the mix)
- Pre heat the oven to 190C gas 5.
- Gently roll the fresh tarragon into the 2 discs.
- Line a plate with one disc of pastry, add the chilled filling and really pile up.
- Egg the edge and cover with the second disc of pastry, seal well and thumb up.
- Pinch the edge around to look nice, brush with beaten egg, the make a couple of slits in the middle.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 25-35 minutes until browned and piping hot.