This great alternative to traditional stuffing is ideal for non-meat eaters and is enough for a 5kg bird.
- 6 tbsp oil, any will do
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 red onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 100g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 100g dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 100g chopped dried cherries, finely chopped
- 2 x 250g microwaveable coconut rice, re heated
- 50g chopped honey roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 100g chopped pistachios, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a pan and add the spices, quickly fry then add the onions, garlic and ginger cook for 10 minutes to soften nicely.
Spoon into a bowl, then add the fruit, warmed rice and nuts and really mix well.
Season well with salt and pepper.
Finally add the egg to bind and the parsley and sage. Again mix well.
Stuff the bird, or spoon into a lightly greased baking dish and bake separately.