This is enough for a 5kg bird.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 450g good quality sausage meat
- 4 tbsp dried breadcrumbs roughly chopped
- 1 large egg
- 175g whole chestnuts peeled
- 150g semi dried cherries
- 1 large Bramley apple grated
- 2 tbsp of roughly chopped fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent, add the thyme and sausage meat and stir well. Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not too add to many.
Add the egg and beat the whole mixture well.
Finally add the chestnuts, cherries, apple, salt and pepper and really mix well.
Stuff the bird when required.