Getting Cheesy with the locals
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, washed really well and very finely sliced
- dash of water
- 35g butter, softened
- 30g plain flour
- 300 mls milk
- ½ x 10g vegetable stock cube
- 175g unpasteurised Gorwydd Caerphilly cheese, half grated half cut into 1/2cm cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pieces of sourdough
- olive oil
- Warm the olive oil and add the leeks, and a little water, then cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften. Then drain well in a colander.
- Place the milk and stock cube into a pan bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile mix the butter and flour together, to form a paste.
- Once the milk is boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer, then whisk in the butter and flour mixture, and cook for 1 minute. The sauce needs to be nice and thick.
- Add the mustard and pepper.
- Take off the heat and stir in ¾ of the cheese and the warm leeks.
- Slice the bread on a long angle, then brush with a little olive oil.
- Griddle or toast the bread, then serve the leeks spooned over, sprinkle over a little more cheese.