Crème Brûlées comes in all kinds of guises these days and this is one of them - grown up, sophisticated and truly divine!
- 2 x 11cm x 5cm deep bowls
- 1 x 400g Ambrosia readymade custard, at room temperature
- 2 medium eggs at room temperature
- 50g sugar, approx (see weight of whites first)
- Pre heat the oven to 160C gas 3.
- Pour the custard into a bowl and microwave until warm but not hot.Whisk in the egg yolks and pour into 2 small bowls.
- Place the bowls into a small shallow pan or tray and pour in boiling water halfway up the bowls.
- Cover with a lid or foil and CAREFULLY place into the pre heated oven.
- Cook for 25-35 minutes, until just set and wobbly, don’t rush this part.
- Once just set remove, cool and chill well.
- Once chilled, spread over a very thin layer of castor sugar and torch, then a second thin layer and torch again.
- Weigh the whites, and then weigh double the amount of sugar to whites.
- Whisk the egg whites until foamy with a pinch of cream of tartar, then add half the sugar, whisk til glossy, finally whisk in the rest of the sugar.
- Pile onto the brulee’s, bake in a hot oven or torch carefully.
- Serve with a drizzle of caramel syrup.