Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 20 mins
Difficulty: Very Easy
- 1 pint of milk
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 80g soft salted butter
- 70g plain flour
- 200g grated extra strong Cheddar cheese, plus a little extra for the top
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 1 large cauli, broken into small florets, the size of a large walnut
- 2 medium leeks, sliced very finely and washed well
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the milk and add the nutmeg and bay leaves and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Mix the soft butter and flour together well.
- Place the milk pan back on the stove and re boil, then whisk in the softened flour and butter mixture, once boiling it will thicken quickly.
- Off the heat stir in the cheese and mustard, then season well with salt and pepper, keep warm and covered.
- Place a large pan of water on the stove and season well with salt, and then bring to the boil.
- Once boiling add the leeks and cauli, re boil and cook until the cauli is just cooked, do not overcook.
- Next, REALLY drain well in a colander, good 10 minutes.
- Arrange the leeks and cauli in a baking dish so its nice and tight.
- Spoon over the sauce, then top with the extra cheese, then brown under a hot grill or in a hot oven.