Love crumble! It’s so easy to make. The big, big rule is never to add the sugar to the crumble until the butter is rubbed into the flour. The reason is that the sugar and butter will cream; that means mix together, a bit like a sponge mixture and the crumble will be heavy and more like pastry. So gently mix the sugar through with a spoon, at the end.
Then just pour over the cooked apple, do not pack down, leave as light and fluffy as possible.
- 4 large Bramley cooking apples
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 175g castor sugar
- 115g cold salted butter
- 225g plain flour
- 150g castor sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into large chunks.
- Heat a saucepan, then add the apples, lemon zest and juice and sugar.
- Cook for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Tip into a large baking dish say 20cm square, roughly.
- Place the cold butter and flour into a food processor and blitz until you have fine breadcrumbs.
- Tip into a bowl and stir through the sugar, carefully.
- Spoon the crumble over the over the apples, do not pack down.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with custard , thick cream, clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.