A bit of caramelisation can turn simple veg into something amazing.
- 1 medium swede peeled and cut into 4-5cm chunks, not too thin
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut half, not lengthways, nice chunks.
- olive oil
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 head garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Pack the veg into a small saucepan (so you use less oil) and just cover with olive oil.
- Season well with salt and pepper, add the garlic head, sliced in half and the fresh thyme.
- Gently heat until the oil is just simmering, not boiling and cook for 12-15 minutes until the veg are nice and soft, but not squashy.
- Leave to cool in the oil.
- When ready to re-heat, drain off the veg, garlic and herbs.
- Using some of the drained oil, heat in a large non-stick frying pan, then sauté the cooked softened veg nice and gently until nice browned.
- The veg will be sweet and utterly delicious.
- Keep the oil for further cooking in the fridge.